Saturday, 21 July 2012

TYLER FALLS by Lori L. Clark - My Stop On The Blog Tour

Photobucket


Title: TYLER FALLS
Author: Lori L. Clark
Source: Review copy provided by RABT 
Publish Date: May 26th 2012

"By the time seventeen-year-old Tyler Falls meets Emma, his "Thirty-Days-Left-to-Live" plan is already in place -- and falling in love isn't part of that plan.

Tyler has suffered from manic depression for as long as he can remember. Through medication and therapy, he manages to keep his life together. But when his parents are murdered, he decides he's had enough of living as a broken person with a broken life. So, in thirty days, he plans to stick the barrel of his Ruger SP101 into his mouth and pull the trigger.

Emma Perez's brother, Ethan Giovanni, sits in a mental institution for the murder of Dr. and Mrs. Falls. Deemed mentally incompetent and unfit to stand trial, Ethan has one weekly visitor -- Emma. She doesn't deny his guilt, he's her brother and she loves him spite of the fact he's paranoid schizophrenic.

They say when you cross paths with someone more than once, it's fate -- you're destined to meet. Tyler doesn't know Emma is Ethan's sister, and Emma doesn't know Tyler's story either. When Tyler learns who Emma's brother is, the world he's rebuilt around her begins to crumble all over again and it leaves both of them wondering why fate has such a cruel sense of humor"


Excerpt:
Chapter 1

Tyler

My name is Tyler Jacob Falls and I have exactly thirty days to live.
The special school I attend -- not short bus special -- and my shrink Dr. Dynerbaugh
think talking about my problems will be great therapy, part of my healing process. She
wants me to open up and share my thoughts and feelings more. Dr. Dynerbaugh even gave
me a journal to write in, but I don't plan on using it. I've got news for her; there
are more pages in that empty journal than I have days left.
I'm seventeen and live with my aunt and uncle on Loon Island. I've lived here since
April last year. No, my parents didn't get a divorce or kick me out. Dealing with that
would be a piece of cake compared to what really happened.
My parents were murdered -- on Valentine's Day.
That night, when I pulled into the drive after dropping Livi off, (Livi is Olivia
Barnett -- only the hottest chick at Fort Jupiter High School. Yeah, I didn't always
have the big "L" on my forehead like I do now), the front door to our house stood wide
open. It being February in Fort Jupiter with a foot of fresh snow covering the front lawn
, I knew there was no way in hell the front door should be open like that. We had a
running joke in our family about my mom being like the Energy Nazi and she would flip
out about someone's lack of procedure.
My gut told me something was bad wrong so I pulled out my cell phone, just as a
precaution, and inched closer to the front door. When I walked in, that bastard Ethan Gio
vanni was wiping the blood from the knife he'd just slit my parent's throats with. He wor
e a sick, twisted grin on his face. I had about two seconds to dial 911 before he
spotted me.
For someone who just offed two people in cold blood on their living room floor; he
showed no more emotion than if he'd just squashed a freaking cockroach.
He had pure evil in his eyes. It's those eyes that will haunt my dreams every night for
the rest of my remaining life -- when I actually sleep. Giovanni tried to make me victim
number three, and the last thing I remember about that night was the distant echo of
sirens.
He tried to run, but they caught up with him about three blocks from our house. But befor
e running like the pussy he is, he stabbed me four times. I spent the next six weeks brea
thing through the pain of a punctured lung and took my meals through a tube attached to n
eedle in my arm.
My mom and dad were buried while I lay in a semi-comatose state due to all the drugs
they kept pumped into my body in the ICU at Fort Jupiter Memorial Hospital. When they sai
d I had healed enough to leave the hospital, I went to live with my aunt and uncle --
Nicole and Kyle Falls -- on Loon Island.
There are Three-hundred-forty-two residents on Loon Island -- forty two normal people
and three hundred crazy people.
Those numbers are subject to change, depending on what kind of day I'm having, to fortyone
Normals and three-hundred-one Crazies.
My Aunt Nicole gets on my case for calling the residents of the nuthouse Crazies. I
should probably clarify something. Loon Island was named for the bird and not because
of the lunatics who live here. Oh and the Loon Island Psychiatric Hospital is not the
loony bin or even the insane asylum. I wouldn't want to offend one of the nutcases or
their families by being politically incorrect. (Sarcasm.)
Ethan Giovanni. His face and name are two things that will go out with me when I pull
the trigger. There wasn't a trial because they said he's not competent enough. He's
insane. Gee, ya think?!
How ironic is it that we both live here on Loon Island? He's one of the Crazies I told
you about. He's in the maximum security part of the nuthouse -- supposedly on suicide
watch twenty-four/seven. If you ask me, they should give him a rope and save the tax
payer's money. Some people can't be rehabilitated. I mean what's he going to do? Find
God? Give me a friggin' break. Scum like Ethan Giovanni don't deserve to live.
We're supposed to take the ferry to the mainland today. It's Monday, May 25. Memorial
Day. Aunt Nicole wants to take me to the cemetery where my mom and dad are buried. It
will be a day of firsts for me. The first day I've been off the island in over a year
and the first time I've been to the grave site. Ever. I wonder if they'll bury me next
to them.
Aunt Nicole knocks on my locked door and I tell her I'm coming. Since she knows I keep
the door locked she doesn't bother trying to open it.
It's not that I don't trust my aunt. On second thought... it kind of is. I don't trust
anybody. She works for the hospital sometimes. Her and my uncle both work there. Most of
the Normals on the Island either work at the hospital or live with someone who does.
She's a Criminologist who studies the nature, extent, causes, and control of criminal
behavior in people and in society. I've seen the way she watches me like I'm one of her
patients and I know she's just waiting for me to snap.
My Uncle Kyle's a warden at the big house. Kyle's badass -- for an old man. He's not
old like ancient or anything, just older than me. He works out every day and I know he co
uld kick some serious ass without blinking an eye. I know he'd kick mine in a heartbeat
if I were to cross the line. Oh and just for the record... I'm no scrawny assed wimp.
I've heard people say never trust anyone over thirty. I have a different set of rules
about trust. Don't trust anyone old enough to focus on you with their eyes or
manipulate you with a smile. So, except for newborn babies and really old people, there
aren't too many people able to earn my trust.
I work out in Uncle Kyle's basement gym late at night when no one's around to spy on me.
Now, it's a matter of survival -- in case they lock me up in the nuthouse again and
not because I'm trying to turn some hot chick's head. Dr. Dynerbaugh -- Dr. Dinnerbell as
I like to think of her -- says it's good to exercise at least thirty minutes each day.
It's supposed to help with my depression. She should practice what she preaches. She's
not depressed, she's just fat.

My Review: 

* I hereby award this book 4 wings*

TYLER FALLS is different from the usual books I find myself reading. After all, it's not often you find a book that starts with a boy telling you he wants to commit suicide. 

Since his parents murder, Tyler has been in a state of depression. He's been seeing a psychiatrist, Dr Dynerbaugh. He lives with his Aunt Nicole and Uncle Kyle. There doesn't seem to be much in this life worth living for. He goes from one day to the next in a kind of trance. The tablets that Dr Dynerbaugh prescribes are to stabilise his moods; but that doesn't seem to be enough to stop his thoughts of putting a gun in his mouth in just thirty short days time. 

Emma Perez lives with her Mama, there's just the two of them now since Ethan got locked up in the 'nut house' on Loon Island. Ethan Giovanni is charged with the murder of Mr and Mrs Falls. 
Nothing has been the same since. Mama washed her hands of Ethan, but Emma still sees him as her brother. She can't help but still love him for the brother he used to be. The one that taught her things growing up and was there for her when she needed him. 

Emma gets a job a a cleaner for Dr Dynerbaugh. The house doesn't really seem that untidy but Emma needs the money so she agrees to clean for her a few days of the week.

Tyler continues to attend his appointments with Dr Dynerbaugh, even though he still plans to take his own life. He puts on an appearance for his Aunt and Uncle's sake more than anything.

Emma refers to Tyler as 'Blue Eyes' because when she saw him on the ferry she caught sight of his beautiful eyes. When she sees him at the Doctor's office, she assumes he must be 'unhinged' in some way if he sees a shrink. But she can't help but find him attractive.

When the two cross paths, Tyler tells Emma his name is Jake. He doesn't want her to know that it's him who's known infamously throughout the town as the boy who's parents were murdered. He wants her to get to know him for himself.

The two continue to see each other and Tyler seems to have a purpose in his life again. He thinks less and less about his plan to take his life. But would he feel the same way if he knew that Emma was the sister of the boy who murdered his parents? Would Emma see him in the same way if she knew it was he who had suffered at the hands of her brother?

This is a beautiful, poignant, heart-wrenching story of two people who fall in love without ever really knowing everything about each other. But when it comes down to the facts, will that love survive? Does love really conquer all?

I was sucked into this story from the first page. I just knew I had to see this through and find out what was to become of Tyler and Emma. 
I felt a deep empathy for Tyler, having lost his parents in such tragic circumstances. My gut twisted when I learned that it was Emma's brother's doing. The tragedy that surrounded the two was like a blanket of grief threatening to strangle and suffocate them both unless they could find a way out of it's folds. 
I found myself so tangled up in the story. The way it was written captured my heart so much. I was at times an emotional wreck. It was like being at the pinnacle of a roller coaster and then being dropped into an abyss and feeling my gut lurching from such a sharp drop. 

I won't ruin the ending for you, but suffice to say that I was left smiling. That was something I wasn't sure the end of this book would achieve, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I am so glad that I was asked to be a part of this blog tour, otherwise I may not have come across this book. I would love for there to be another book to follow it, but I feel it was written as a stand-alone....?

Many thanks to RABT for asking me to be part of this tour and to Lori Clarke for touching my heart with this emotional roller coaster of a novel. 


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by
the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in
exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not
necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the
Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*






Thank you one and all for coming by for my stop on the Blog Tour. Don't forget to enter the giveaway for your chance to win!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...