Thursday, 3 May 2012

Stock Images For Book Covers. Is it okay to use the same image as another author? Your opinions please...!

So, I am about to ask you something and I would love an honest answer. 


I recently ordered a book from the US, it's called LEOPARD MOON by Jeanette Battista. I love the cover for it. However, I looked at reviews and someone asked why on earth Jeanette would use the girl she used. They were comparing it to FALLEN by Lauren Kate. Now, I had forgotten momentarily what the cover for Fallen looked like. So I set about comparing the two to see what they were on about. Here they are side by side for you to see:
Okay so now you can see them both. My question to you is this: Do you see a problem in the similarities? The fact is, stock images are pretty much available for anyone to use. We can't all have the resources or the money to do a cover shoot with something 'unique'. 


I also came across another example of this. It's Indie Author vs Published Author.


Now, I came across Preordained when I was browsing other things on Amazon. I thought it was a short story by Michelle Zink because of the cover. I was so excited. Imagine my disappointment when I realised it was nothing of the sort.


So... I want to know what you think. Are you a fan of Michelle Zink? Will you read Preordained regardless of the similarities? Or like those on Goodreads, will you not pick it up because it is a (and I quote) "rip-off of the cover".....


As always, your comments are much appreciated. I don't want to start an all out row. So I would appreciate a modicum of decorum. Please. Consider others feelings as you comment, but be honest. What is YOUR opinion?



8 comments:

  1. i'm a book lover who also loves a pretty cover and i really don't think it matters if there are a hundred books with the same cover , if you know the author and title of the book then it should make no difference if there are a hundred books with the same cover as your still going to walk away with the book you want !i have fallen and although i see that leopard moon has pretty much the same cover as fallen i would still read both as fallen caught my eye and so has leopard moon regardless of the book covers being the same . i haven't heard of a temptation of angels or preordained again although the covers are both the same girl i would still buy and read both if the story lines caught my attention because as we book lovers are always saying ... you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover ! meaning same picture doesn't mean same story !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie you hit the nail on the head - I bought Leopard Moon despite people's spiteful comments. At the end of the day, there are only so many stock images & those people will miss out on awesome stories because they choose to be judgmental!

      Delete
  2. It's so hard to get an image you want for the cover of your book. Yes, it's what's inside that counts but I've given books a second look because of the cover. I actually spent the last 3 days looking through stock art, trying to find images for my cover. There's not a whole lot out there & since indie pubs don't have $ for a photo shoot, I think it's fine to have similar covers. Hopefully there's a little manipulating to make them unique, but that's another thing that costs $, of course. If I read the 1st chapter & it's good, I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Cindi. I think out of respect for another author, you shouldn't directly copy it. There needs to be as much difference as can be if you choose to use the same image.
      Personally, I adore Leopard Moon's cover hence why I bought it. It's different enough for me. It's about what's on the inside too.

      Delete
  3. I don't think it matter they both look nice and I have both to lol hey I add your button to my to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your button is on the right side of my blog :0)

      Delete
  4. Here I am!!! Cover connoisseur at your service.
    Okay, Fallen by Lauren Kate... I fell in love with the cover the second I saw it. I believe I have seen one or two more books with the same cover (apart from Leopard Moon). It sucks. Because you want your book to be as original as possible, or at least that is how i feel, so when someone gets the same photo it's kinda like, come on!
    For my covers I found a model and got original photos, and no, you don't have to spend money to do this.
    So I would have to say that I would think twice about a book that is using the same photo as another author, especially when they really aren't changing much about it.
    Leopard Moon gets the thumbs down on originality :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your POV Luce & the thing is, as an author you love your cover wholeheartedly and don't want to see it on someone else's book. Is there a way round the copying?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...