Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Review of REVAMPED by Ada Adams


Title: ReVamped
Author: Ada Adams
Source: E-book from the author for review
Publish Date: February 20th 2012

I hereby give this book 5 wings!

I also nominated this book as my Best Book Ever in the Debut Author category.

I'm not sure how I first came across ReVamped, what I do know is I loved what I saw. From the amazingly gorgeous purple cover (my favourite colour) with the beautiful model, to the enticing blurb, I knew that this would be something I wanted to read. 

The day after I looked this up, I was surprised to have an email in my inbox from Ada asking if I would like to review it. Spooky coincidence! I told her that I'd only been looking it up the previous day and would be delighted to review it. Needless to say, this made us both happy!

So I picked ReVamped up a couple of days ago. From the first minute, I was in love with this totally different book. I was reading and the thought struck me, "Holy Hell, these vampires don't sparkle - AWESOME"
So many people say that vampire books are on their way out. I must admit, I have seen a decline in the amount of vampire books out there, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I'm not one of these people anyway, I still very much adore a good vampire book - as long as it's not the 'same old, same old' - I love nothing more than settling down with a good vampire book that I can really sink my fangs into (sorry I just couldn't help myself)

So anyway, on with my review of this amazing book.

ReVamped is the story of 19 year old Dawn, a vampire with a simple mission that turns out to be a deadly nightmare.
Dawn has led a somewhat sheltered life within the confines of her fathers presidential headquarters. For saying she's a vampire, she seems to have had an easy, ordinary life. Though with one exception, she learnt to become a phenomenal fighter. 

When her father finally decides to give Dawn a mission outside of the walls - he tells her he is sending her on an easy little mission in Angel Creek. She is to train 4 vampires to be the new town guardians. The 'Fab Five' - the towns previous guardians - are no longer around. They are off auditioning for shows in Hollywood. So whilst they have the glitz and glamour, Dawn is in charge of getting the new recruits together and into shape.

Little does Dawn know at the time that this mission is far more deadly than her or her father could ever have imagined.

Once in Angel Creek, Dawn sets about her first task - finding the new recruits. All she has to go by are facts in a file on her tablet computer.  There's Brooke Mason, the cheerleader. Sophie Reed, the librarian. Hunter Woods, the ex- punk band singer turned alcoholic. Then there's Seth Lee, the Role-Playing Game Olympic Champion. 
Let me guess, the first thought through your head upon reading that was 'These 4 are meant to be new recruits to become guardians? This rag-tag band of weirdos?' Honestly, you would be right. There is nothing about these 4 that screams that they can become lean mean fighting machines like Dawn. 

But Dawn starts to train them in the hope that they can surprise her. 

When Hannah (the waitress at the town bar) has her dog kidnapped, Dawn discovers that there is far more to the quaint little town than meets the eye. Not only are there werewolves, but they are the complete opposite of how one might expect them to be. Far from the fearsome creatures people have seen on tv or read in books, they are cute fluffy creatures without much backbone - as Dawn comes to find out, much to her annoyance when she could have done with some help.

But werewolves being the exact opposite to their lore is the least of Dawn and the groups worries. The rogue vampires wanted to kidnap Dawn, but instead had to make do with taking Hannah. 
So Dawn and the group must try to find out who the vampires were and where they are likely to be holding Hannah.

I won't spoil things for you by telling you the details - suffice to say, they eventually find this group of vampires and hope to get in and out with Hannah without coming to any harm.

Little do they know that things are about to take a definite turn for the worse. Now Dawn not only has the task of making sure the recruits are ready to protect the town, she has to deal with this villainous vampire that has a strange and deadly obsession with her. 

With twists and turns and much turbulence along the way, this story is a fast-paced, gritty and at times romantic. I can't say much about the love interest, all I will say is, I fell for him when Dawn very first met him. He's mysterious, alluring, moody and handsome. The perfect combination to set my heart all a-flutter. 

As this is Ada Adams' debut novel, I wasn't all that sure what to expect from ReVamped. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found and she has fast landed herself on my favourite author list. I participate in a Best Book Ever feature over on another blog where we get to nominate books in different categories. In a couple of weeks, the category is Debut Author - I have nominated Ada Adams for my entry. I think she is just fantastic and I look forward to hopefully many more books from her in the future!

I like the fact that I could sink easily into Ada's fluid writing style. I like nothing more than being able to lose myself in a book and with ReVamped it was very easy to start reading but very difficult to put it down. 

In short I would say: This book is fast-paced, unputdownable fun, from the first to the final word. 

Thank you Ada. Both for giving me this book and for introducing me to a new world with some awesome new characters. I very much anticipate the release of the second installment.  


Note to those considering purchasing ReVamped:

The author of this book has been the victim of book piracy - The ARC of ReVamped has been fraudulently put on B&N and people have been able to download it from there amongst other places. This being so, people have been able to read and review the unedited, unfinished version - meaning that there have been some poor reviews received. PLEASE do not let these reviews prejudice you against buying a copy for yourself. It is available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble now for download and it is the finished version - the same version as I have just read and I believe you will receive as much pleasure from reading it as I have. 
Please do what you can to guard against book piracy, in my honest opinion, it is the WORST thing that can be done to an author. I know this has upset Ada greatly and with good reason. She has put a lot of hard work into her novel, hoping to give readers an entertaining read - only to find that people are ripping off her work and belittling the amount of effort she has put in. 
Thank you!


Purchase your copy, here:










6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I read this a couple of months ago when Ada approached me for a review. I had not heard about it being put out there like that. How awful! That's great of you to warn people about that. I don't know how I missed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only happened this week Christina. Such a terrible thing. Book piracy is the worst!! I wish to god people would realise they are hurting authors

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for your wonderful review, Keren!

    I am truly honored by your words, and am especially floored to learn that you will be nominating me in the "Debut Author" category of the "Best Book Ever" feature! Honored is not even a strong enough word for it! Thank you!

    Also, thank you very much for pointing out the piracy issue. I have been very lucky to have had the support of some wonderful readers and bloggers, so I am choosing to look at the positive aspect of it all. In the end, it's those readers that truly matter and I am forever grateful and dedicated to them! :)

    Warm wishes,
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Them" includes "You" as well, of course! :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ada. I truly think you are amazing. I hope you can just put the piracy behind you and be able to move on. I'm sorry such a bad thing happened to such a lovely person.

      Delete
  3. The cover is so, so pretty. I'm going to have to add yet another book to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...