Monday, 26 March 2012

Review of A TEMPTATION OF ANGELS by Michelle Zink


Author: Michelle Zink
Publish Date: 20th March 2012.


I hereby award this book 5 wings!

I was first drawn to this book by the stunning cover. I was on the authors blog when I noticed it and had to know what it was about. So I looked it up in Goodreads and knew I had to read it. I love to read new things involving angels. I like to read how different authors have a different take, a different concept of how things work. 

I will admit, I have not read anything by Michelle Zink before. However, now I will look to rectify that. I really want to read her Prophecy of the Sisters series. 

Being new to Michelle's writing, I wasn't sure what to expect. I can honestly tell you, I was really impressed by what I found. Michelle has a beautiful, fluid way of writing. She manages to explain things to the reader without 'information overload'. I really liked the natural flow of discovering things as I went along. Some authors can spend too much time on world building and not actually having much happen. But Michelle's world didn't really need building - it was simple, elegant and easy to understand. 

There was only one thing I didn't like about this book and that was the fact that it had to end! The last page came up on me all too fast. I don't know whether there will be several more books after this one but I really, truly hope so. I loved how I got so wrapped up in the story, I honestly felt like I lost huge chunks of time whenever I picked it up. I stayed up late into the night just to finish it off - leaving me tired the next morning because I simply HAD to know what was happening. 

A TEMPTATION OF ANGELS is a story about sixteen year old Helen Cartwright. A girl whose parents are murdered, leaving her an orphan at such a tender age. But her parents had planned for what would happen in such an event. Shortly before they died, Helen's mother made her take a slip of paper, telling her where to go and who to look for. 

Upon escaping from her childhood home before it was engulfed in flames, Helen must find her way to the home of Darius and Griffin Channing. She doesn't know the Channings and doesn't understand what will happen once she gets there but the fact is, she has nowhere else to go, no-one else to turn to in her time of need. 

Helen finds herself launched head first into an underground London where an organisation called the 'Dictata' control the balance of good and evil. Helen discovers that she is one of 3 surviving angelic descendants who are charged with the protection of the world's past, present and future

Unbeknownst to Helen, she has been trained for this her whole life. Her mother and father played games with her as a child in preparation. Now she must accept the responsibility that comes with such a task. Her life depends on it. The fate of the world depends on it. 

Torn between the handsome, charming Griffin Channing and her childhood friend who could destroy her, Helen has to find a way to do what is best. But is what's best for her the same thing as what's best for the rest of the world? It's true that temptation comes in many guises and she finds that it can be hard to resist. 

But Helen must be strong in the face of adversity. She must prepare to be hunted by those that wish her harm and to do the very best that she can do because at the end of the day, that is all anyone can really ask of her. 

I admit I fell totally in love with Griffin. But then I had affection for all the male characters. Griffin was the one who was sweet, polite, handsome. 'The good guy'.  
*Swoons...Mmm Griffin*
Darius was the kind of guy that everything he said was intoned with sarcasm. I know people say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - but being a sarcastic sort of person myself, I found Darius funny even when Helen did not. 
As for Raum, he was the ultimate bad boy. Without ruining the story for you, I can't tell you how or why. All I can say is, knowing what he has done, it is hard to understand why Helen would feel anything toward him. But in the end, even if you don't feel anything for him yourself, you come to know why Helen does. It's hard, some people will be totally against him whilst others will be for him - whilst me personally, I spent most of my time in the undecided camp. I sort of wanted to forgive him but also didn't know whether he earned the forgiveness. [I won't tell you whether I forgave him or not in the end - I will leave you to figure that out once you've read it]

There were a couple of other characters whom I held affection for. Galizur and his daughter Anna. You will meet them along the way and see just why they also have  places in my heart.

I must say that few books end with me in tears with a pile of tissues beside me. Even fewer books still that start with tears and end with a wry kind of smile. A TEMPTATION OF ANGELS was one of the latter. So I warn you now, if you are an emotional sort, have tissues at the ready before you begin.

If like me you like to curl up with a cup of tea and a good book, then I suggest you make a flask of tea and find a quiet room where you can hang a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door - I warn you, you won't want to come out until you reach the last page. 

My final thought? This book was epic. It left me all at once sated yet hungry for more.

Thank you Michelle for introducing us to fantastic new characters to love and a world in which to get completely lost.

To purchase your copy - though I'd be shocked if you didn't already have one - click one of the following links:






3 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! I have been hearing a lot of good things about this book. I will have to check it out when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp* you don't have it yet? You simply MUST get it Amy - don't miss out!!

      *squishes* thank you Hun!! I try not to be too 'spoilery' lol

      Delete
  2. I was unsure about this one, but your lovely review has convinced me to read it ASAP! Off to add it to my TBR. Great job, ToA! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...