Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Review of WITHER by Lauren DeStefano


Title: WITHER
Note: I bought this book myself. I was not asked for a review.

I hereby award this book 4 wings!


Firstly, I loved this cover. It was what drew me to the book in the first place. I had been looking for new books to read and came across Wither in my travels. I have only read a couple of Dystopian books before and I find I really like the genre. So I knew I had to give this a go.
It sat on my shelf for a while before I finally got the time to read it, but what with getting the ARC of FEVER (The Chemical Garden Trilogy #2) I knew I had to read it soon so that I am up to speed.

From the moment I picked it up, I knew I would enjoy this book. I don't know what it is but sometimes I just get this feeling that I will like something and I do.
I love the way Lauren DeStefano writes. It's lyrical and beautiful. Wither had me laughing, swearing and fighting tears along the way. 

Thanks to a botched attempt to create the perfect human race, all males will die at the age of 25 and females  at the age of 20. Geneticists may be trying to find a cure, but is it really likely to work? Is there more to life than marrying, having children and dying at such a young age?

Rhine is a 16 year old girl, so she has 4 years left before she dies. As if that wasn't bad enough, she is kidnapped and  forced into marrying 20 year old Linden. He falls hopelessly in love with Rhine and though she would like to, she can't seem to find it in her to hate him. Even though the way in which they married was somewhat less than Rhine desired, she can't help but feel a little sorry for Linden as his life seems to be ruled by his father, Vaughn. 
So she finds herself living in a mansion with her husband and her two sister wives, Cecily and Jenna. Yes, you read that right, Linden has not only one wife but three!
Rhine is desperate to find a way of letting her twin brother know that she is okay. She is desperate to be free. She can't spend the last years of her life trapped in a mansion with a husband she doesn't love, two sister wives and a monster of a father-in-law. (I can't tell you why, but trust me, Vaughn is a despicable excuse for a human being)
When she finds herself drawn to Gabriel, a servant, she encourages him to break free, to go out and discover the world that lies beyond the grounds of the mansion. 

Will Rhine and Gabriel be able to escape the clutches of this mansion and it's inhabitants? Is there really any hope for freedom?

I have to say, I found this story to be interesting, exciting, fast-paced and very well written. I really have high hopes for the next 2 books in the trilogy!

To purchase WITHER for yourself:


2 comments:

  1. This is sitting on my shelf by my couch begging to be read. I have been wanting to read it forever. I am trying to get to it. Great review. I am looking forward to when I get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should Amy hun, it was awesome. I am looking forward to FEVER now :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...