Sunday, 12 February 2012

Review of INCARNATE by Jodi Meadows


Title: INCARNATE
Author: Jodi Meadows
Note: I bought this book myself, I did not receive it for review
Publish Date: 31st January 2012

I hereby award this book 5 wings!

Firstly, let me just say I am in love with this cover. This is cover-art at it's very best. Not only the book jacket, but if you slip it off, you will see that the book itself is beautiful. For a start, it's purple. Also, it has a butterfly in the centre. GORGEOUS!
I am a bit of a purple addict and I LOVE butterflies. So this for me is just perfection!

Before I get into my actual review, here are some Definitions from Goodreads:

New Soul:
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.


No Soul:
Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?


Heart:
Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?




Now for my review:


As soon as I saw this book, I was in love with the cover. When I looked at the blurb, I knew I needed to read INCARNATE. I was on edge for weeks knowing it was so close, yet so far.
I ordered it and waited in anticipation for it to be delivered.
It wasn't until about the 6th of February that I received it. At which point it had already been out for nearly a week and I was itching for it to hurry up.
Thankfully, I had just become free to read it when it got here.


I have to say, Jodi Meadows is one of my new favourite authors. I love the way she expertly crafted this story. It was something that had me hooked immediately and I had to read it every spare moment I got.
It took me longer to read than I had hoped. I had my son's birthday on Saturday so I had a few hours where I could not pick it up. But after he had gone to bed, I managed to finish it off. Now I am just dying for the next book.


I don't want to give too much of this story away, for obvious reasons. You need to sit and read it yourself. But let me warn you, make sure you have a few hours spare because you will NOT want to put it down.


There were things about INCARNATE that had me laughing. Then there were those that had me crying. Whilst other things made me so mad I wanted to punch someone in the face.


Ana is our main character and without telling you too much about her, I want to point out that I am amazed at the kind of person she became. She went through a lot and came out better than a lot of people would have done.
Her mother, Li (though I hardly think she deserves the title 'mother') is an awful woman who reminds me of my own mother,
Li thought very little of Ana, as she believes she took Ciana's place - Ciana should have been reincarnated and Ana should not exist. So when Ana decides to leave home and head for Heart, Li doesn't stop her. She gives her a compass and tells her to be on her way.
Only the compass is broken - it's just a good job Ana realises this before she gets too lost.


The struggles Ana goes through with Li are similar to struggles I had with my mother growing up, so I really empathise with her character. But I think that pretty much like myself, if it weren't for Li's awful ways, Ana may not have ended up the person she is today. It's our experiences in life that shape us for the future. So she may hate Li - and indeed she has every right - but that which does not break you makes you stronger.


On the whole this story was unique, intriguing and has you turning pages quickly because you are on the edge of your seat wanting to know what happens next.


The pace of the book itself, I would say it is fast-paced and full of exciting discoveries. Yet the pace of the world building and such is slow enough to give you the bigger picture.


I found myself falling in love with the sweet Sam. The relationship between him and Ana - it wasn't a rushed 'girl meets boy and BAM they fall in love' - it was sweet and slow building. I thought Sam was an incredible character. There's more to that boy than meets the eye.


There were some pretty great characters throughout this book. I liked a lot of them and hated a few of the others. Yet whether I liked or hated them, they were believable. What I mean to say is, it was as though they were real people. Not something an author creates, but someone you might come across in your everyday life.


As if this wasn't all enough, there were dragons and sylph and other things to add to the excitement and adventure.


So if you want something unique and refreshing, pick up INCARNATE. You won't be sorry you did.


You can find it here:





2 comments:

  1. Fabulous review!! So glad that you loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incarnate sounds amazing! So glad to hear you liked it! I will definitely have to read it now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...