Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Somebody Asked Me Why I Blog...

So I thought I would share the answer with you guys.


I have always been a bit of a bookworm. I guess it started when my Step-Grandad bought me The Hobbit and asked me to read him pages aloud every day. Then there were the summer afternoons I spent holed-up in my bedroom with What Katy Did & What Katy Did Next for company. Also, my Mom bought me Anna Sewell's Black Beauty in a green leather cover.
I loved reading. Whether it was out loud to other people or to myself in my room. I loved a god book that took me away from the reality and boredom for a while.


For some reason, I was always a Stephen King fan. My favourite was Desperation.
But then, for a reason unknown to myself right now, I didn't read anything for a while. Once in a while something would catch my eye, but other things got in the way. I had priorities and at that time, they unfortunately didn't include reading.


So anyway, life carried on and at 23 I gave birth to my beautiful son, Calum.


Calum slept for four hours at a time. This gave me time for something but I wasn't sure what.
Until, that is, my partner Barry bought me Harry Potter 1-7.
So finally, I had books back in my life. And let me tell you, I LOVED Harry Potter. So much so I have collectable HP stuff in my bedroom.


After reading the HP series, I had the reading bug again. So I looked for something else to read and came across Twilight. I read all those within a week. I devoured them. At that time, they became my new favourite book. (Though I have since realised that was because I didn't have much to compare it to - and whether you hold it against me or not, I now HATE Twilight)


So anyway, I digress. I promise I am getting to the point.


I bought my partner a Kindle for Christmas back in 2010. I loved it so much I had to buy myself one.
I bought it early in 2011 and am forever glad I did. It introduced me to the world of Indie Authors.


I joined Twitter on 15th March 2011 (yes, I remember the date - sad I know) and I started following these Indie Authors. Little by little, they started following me back.
I started offering reviews in exchange for e-books. I found that they were only too willing to do this.
It's not just Indie Authors though, I follow other authors published by the bigger companies and am lucky to have some of them follow me back too.


I was in Heaven. I was getting lots of books sent to me and I was able to start writing reviews for them. It was a natural progression for the recently re-affirmed bookworm in me! I thank my lucky stars for each and every author/blogger/reviewer friend that I have. I have met some great people along the way!!


My partner asked me why I hadn't started a blog, putting all the reviews in one place. Thinking it was a good idea, I started one before this one. It was awful, a real embarrassment and I am SO glad that it no longer exists.
But I found out about Blogger and I haven't looked back.


The short answer to the question of why I have a blog is, I put it together for authors to see the reviews I was giving their books.


The long answer resides in all of the above. Plus the fact that, I love writing on my blog and sharing the love of good books with other people. If my blog encourages just one person to buy the books I review, then I'm doing okay. You know?!


I've been told my blog is awesome - and this is a sentiment I agree whole-heartedly with. I love the header and the background that I was lucky enough to get my friend Lucy to design.


People also tend to think that I write good, comprehensive reviews. I like to think they are right...Fingers crossed! :D


But I don't really do it for the attention. That's just a bonus when I get more followers.


SO... that is why I write my blog. Thank you one and all for stopping by each and every time you do.
You are all awesome!!!


Thank you to the authors that give me their books to review. I wouldn't be here today without you! :D
I love you all!


Keren xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! I am actually doing a few interviews on my blog with some blogger friends asking them about their blogs. I am so glad that you were able to find the passion for reading again, and started your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun :D I am really glad I did because not only have I discovered some great books in the process, I have also made some great friends. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...