Sunday, 8 January 2012

Review of AMARANTH by Rachael Wade


Title: AMARANTH
Author: Rachael Wade
Source: Review copy from the author

I hereby award this book 5 wings!

First of all, let me say the cover is beautiful. It was what drew me to the book in the first instance.
I am a big lover of purple and blue, as many of you know already. I love the fact that the red dress provides a stark contrast to the ethereal feeling background. Honestly, big love to the cover artist, Robin Ludwig Design Inc!

I was being nosey on Twitter (as some of you now know I am a lot) and I came across Rachael. This was a few months ago now and I was intrigued by the look of AMARANTH. I asked her if she wanted me to review it on exchange for a free e-book copy. Luckily for me, she said yes. (I would have bought it at some point anyway no doubt).
I haven't actually had chance to pick it up until now and I have been feeling guilty about that. But in a way I am glad I had to wait a while. This is simply because I am so desperate for the release of The Gates and now I don't have to wait so long in between books :)
When I first asked Rachael for a copy, I read the blurb so that I knew what it was about. But by the time I picked it up a couple of months down the line, I had totally forgotten. I could have easily picked up the paperback that Rachael sent me, but I was too lazy to go to the bookshelf. So I went into it totally blind, not knowing what I could expect.
By the fact that it says Resistance Trilogy #1 in brackets after the title, it gave me cause to think it might be a Dystopian novel. But when I picked it up, I realised I was wrong. I thought that maybe it was a romance. But was proved wrong on that count too.

What was it? I hear you ask. Well, read on for my review and see for yourself :)

Camille realises she needs to leave her abusive boyfriend and put her dysfunctional family behind her. Louisiana seems like the perfect place to do both of those things. Or at least one would think so. That is until Andrew, another abusive boyfriend, comes on the scene.
Just what is it about Camille that attracts the deadbeats and the abusive? I mean, she's a sweet, sensitive girl. She deserves to be with someone wonderful who treats her with the utmost of respect and decency. But no, wherever she goes, it seems she is destined to attract the bad ones like a magnet.

So when Gavin Devereaux comes along she is most pleasantly surprised that he is not only very handsome looking, but also a loving, caring man. He's not one of these with a dark and murky past full of secrets. Is he?

Camille's best friend Audrey comes from Seattle to visit her and finds herself attracted to Gavin's friend Gabe. So for the fortnight that she is visiting, the two couples double date.
Everything's goes well. Except for the fact that the boys always have them back at Camille's house for midnight.

At this point I was thinking to myself; Why on Earth would they have to get them back for midnight?
Thankfully, it wasn't too long until I found out.

Gavin does have a secret after all. But it isn't anything that Camille could have imagined.

This secret plunges Camille into the world of vampires. There she is faced with decisions that threaten her life and more importantly to her, the lives of those she loves.

Those she loves must go to the city of Amaranth on their quest for freedom. But their journey will not be an easy one.

At this point, I feel like I shouldn't tell you any more about their journey. I could talk about the things that happened and how they made me feel. But I feel this incredible journey is something that you must discover for yourself.

Throughout this entire book, there were ups and downs, highs and lows. It was a fantastic journey from beginning to end. The only thing I disliked was the fact that it had to end.
I cannot wait until The Gates (The Resistance Trilogy #2) is released so that I can pick up where I left off.
I can't even begin to describe to you how I felt reading AMARANTH because I am afraid that if I do, it will be too spoilery. All I can really say is, there were times when I laughed, but also times when I cried.
I felt I could relate to Camille for a few reasons. Having had a dysfunctional family growing up myself and having had an abusive ex I needed to escape, I could totally feel her pain as though it were my own.

I absolutely love the way Rachael Wade writes. She created some wonderful, lovable characters.
I really felt an empathy for Camille and what she was going through. Audrey was the perfect best friend. You need someone like her in your life. As for Gavin? Ooo everybody needs a Gavin.
Tall, dark, handsome and a remarkably nice person to boot. I would love me a real life Gavin Devereaux.

As for the bad guys? Yes, of course I hated the bad guys. But the one good thing I can say about them is that they were totally believable. Sometimes an author goes out of their way to create the 'absolute bad guy'; Rachael Wade made them real. Andrew was creepy, abusive, aggressive and rotten to the core. He had no redeeming features, except for the fact that Rachael made him real. There really are guys out there like him.

So, high praise from me to Rachael for a stunning first book in the trilogy. I cannot wait to read the next two, but at the same time, don't want it to end.

Thank you Rachael for the chance to review this book. I am eternally grateful.

If you want to purchase AMARANTH for yourself, you can do so here:






1 comment:

  1. Wow, Keren. So much I'd like to say about this review, but I'll attempt to keep it short. ;)
    First, I can't tell you how thankful I am for your time. I so appreciate you reading and reviewing. Writing is satisfying enough, but when someone loves your work, it makes it even more fulfilling. So a huge, heartfelt thank you.

    Second, I'm glad that Camille's situation resonated with you and that you saw something positive in it. My leads are far from perfect, but I prefer them that way for a reason.

    There's a lot more I could say, but I won't hijack your comment section here. ;) I'm thrilled you loved this and hope you enjoy the 2nd installment just as much.

    Much love,
    Rachael
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...