Monday, 7 November 2011

My Love Affair With Books Started When...

I was a kid. I can't quite remember how old I was, but my step-grandparents used to love to encourage me to read out loud. They thought I had a lovely reading voice. Odd people haha!
My step-grandad, Robin, bought me J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit, and I read a few pages to him every day. I think this was the cover (pictured right) - but it got lost some time over the years in all the moving house I have done.










But I really fell in love with books when I was 16 and my mom, Alison, bought me Anna Sewell's Black Beauty. I recently discovered it in my memories box at my nan's house. It is in pristine condition. Shows I was good at keeping books in good condition, even as a kid.
Not sure when this copy would have been released, but inside, my mom wrote my name and the date 16th March 1996. 








And so started my passionate love affair with books. I love to read. Not many things (except my fiance and son) make me happier than when my nose is between the pages of a book. 
I am a BIG cover art lover. Good cover art is not a necessity to get me interested, but it is a major plus!
I also have this thing about the condition of my books. I hate it when you can see how cracked a spine is. To some people, it suggests love of a book - and each to their own - but to me, a clean unbroken spine suggests TLC. My books all look new and unread, though many of them have been read many, many times.


You would not believe the heartache it is causing me to give away 86 books from my collection.
 I decided that I needed room for more books, and to give my friend Sam the ones I know I won't read again. 
Obviously I am not giving away my favourite ones. Some will stay with me for life. But I want my books to go to a good home where they will be loved and cared for like they were when they were mine.

2 comments:

  1. I am the same exact way about the condition of my paperback or hard copy books--I like to keep them in mint condition as best as I can because they are my prized possessions. I can imagine giving away some of your books is hard. I read Kindle e-books most of the time now but I insist on keeping my all-time faves in print on my shelf. Even though I am absolutely in love with my Kindle, I do miss reading a good book in print and then being able to look at it on my bookshelf when I'm done...which is why I go and buy my faves in print when I'm done reading them on my e-reader. I love print way, way too much and will never give it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so alike! I really heart my Kindle, and e-books are brilliant. It's just occasionally I miss the smell and feel of the paper. And of course my favourite books get bought in P/B or H/B, and some I just can't get as e-books.
    I think reading is in my blood. My auntie Elise in New Zealand said she thinks so, all the women in my family love reading.
    My fiancé also loves to read, and has absolutely no room on his bookshelves for anymore.
    I bought him a Kindle for Christmas last year, and then I fell in love with it, so I bought myself one LOL. Now we both have them and both read ALLL the time! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...